Thursday, July 20, 2006

Back 2 Reality Part II

For the first time since I started my postgrad degree, I actually went to the library and borrowed three books. My library card record has been a clean sheet due to my dogged resistance to avoid stepping into that building at all costs.

I also actually enjoyed reading all that academic writing on my topic – probably because I haven't done it in awhile, and also, I'm interested in what I'm writing about. But it's all pretty complicated...

On another note, I played the grand piano today – a long time since I've exercised my fingers that way – and I really miss it. I miss playing for mass on the sundays, and being able to play bollocks after everyone's left – my fingers since have lost whatever dexterity it had before to becoming more like clumsy bananas tripping over each other in a race to get up and down the scales. It was saddening. And I would have loved to have a full-on get-my-fingers-running-session on the piano but this room, which was the only one available, was situated where everyone who walked into the main building could hear every bloody note I was playing. For fear of adding to the heat woes of general humankind, I kindly decided to spare the ears of surrounding unsuspecting victims. I need a soundproof room to get my fingers back to the land of the living.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean - it's mighty embarrassing! Although I'm sure your technique's still going strong :)

Welcome back home!