Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Interview

I stumbled on a very interesting interview with David Marshall today. It's a little long, but extremely insightful. I wish I had the chance to interview Marshall myself.

My favourite bit (I haven't read the whole thing yet) in this extract:

Our lives are empty. We don’t understand the joy of living is not in the gold coins. It is not in the bank account. The joy of living is in human relations. We are not in appreciation of this miracle of life.

We are giving a lop-sided view, an unfairness to the government! We come out of a morass of imperial subjugation where people were dying of starvation and now?

You know, when I won a case once years ago, I was presented with a lovely porcelain Buddha with a big flowing belly and ears that reached to his shoulders and a chubby face.

I said to my client, “Look, you Chinese got a real feeling for aesthetics. How can you worship something so obscene?”

He said, “Mr Marshall, try and understand. China is a land of starvation where millions of people die for lack of food, and to be able to eat that much, to be that fat, that is heaven!”

***

Now, that is the attitude of our government: to be able to eat that much, that is heaven and you should be content.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the process of getting fat, although I can't say I LIKE being fat.

Heaven is:
being able to eat all you want
and remaining skinny
without having to exercise!